Mayan skull mask

The main project I'm working on at the moment is a paper mache mask.  I think it's a safe bet that nearly everyone reading this has made a paper mache mask at some point, probably at school.  It's quite a relaxing task and reminds me of the very few occasions when I didn't completely hate being at school.  And that makes me happy on a whole other level, because it reminds me that I never have to be at school again but can still make a paper mache mask if I want to.  Seditiosus 1, School 0.
 
I'm actually making a series of masks for the purposes of partying like it's the end of the world this December.  You know how it is: you have a few drinks with some mates, someone says "Hey, you know what would be really cool...?" and it all just kind of snowballs from there.
 
Here it is half finished, and it's already gratifyingly creepy.



The eye holes are lined with thin cloth that works on essentially the same principle as a two way mirror.  The wearer can see out of them, but other people can't see in.
 
Here it is when I first started it.  With the shaping for the eyesockets and very little else it looks like it's wearing spectacles.




 

Comments