Still doing scales

Remember how when you were a kid your mum made you take music lessons and you had to practice scales ad nauseam?  Making a snake tail is kind of like that in some ways.  There are always far more scales than you expect when you start on the project.
 
Happily the end result of this project is not like the awful noises I used to make with a violin.  It's far more satisfying, and probably doesn't violate any public decency by-laws.  This is a view of the project's underside, so you can see the large oblong scales on the snake's belly.  I haven't rounded off the body too much because I want it looking old and dessicated and a bit squashed.

 

Hopefully soon I can get on to my favourite bit, which is the head, but in the meantime it's all scales, scales, scales.  Hey-ho.

All this brings us to an important question that I'd like to address today: how do you, as a sculptor with a short attention span, deal with those sections of the build that are repetitive and which you don't particularly like?

I find the TV* to be quite helpful here.  I use it to distract me while I do the work - preferrably something I've seen before or something cheesy-but-entertaining because this method won't work so well if you use something that takes up too much of your concentration.  A handy side benefit of this approach is that it means I have to clear all the crap off the coffee table.  I know; I should do that more often, but every time I clear it off all that happens is that it gets covered in crap again.  Usually within five minutes.  What's the point of that?


*When I say "TV" I generally mean a DVD or YouTube, but you'll want to go with whatever works for you.

Comments

  1. Hey Stella,
    The scales are looking great! I totally relate to everything you said. Once you commit to a certain look, in this case a concentration of scales, you then realize how much "grunt" work is ahead of you. Like you, I turn on the TV. My guilty pleasures...the Discover "reality" shows like "Deadliest Catch" (my favorite) and "Gold Rush" and the like. They don't take too much attention. But when you are done with all of that work, it is definitely worth it. Then someone will offer me $100 for the piece. Thank you for sharing your project. It's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yeah, those are great shows to have in the background while you sculpt. Discovery Channel is a lifesaver.

      Delete

Post a Comment