I don't know how I get myself into these things, I really don't

For some reason I decided I wanted to cut away part of the skull on this head so the teeth would be visible inside the paper mache "bone".   There's only one problem with doing this, but it's quite a substantial one: making all the little teeth.  I like the satisfaction of having made lots of teeth, but actually making them is a chore I can do without.  


In profile

However,  here they are in glorious cutaway detail.  The teeth are made of polymer clay.  To be honest I really didn't think this jaw idea was going to turn out very well when I was making it, but I stuck with it and I'm happy I did.  This thing even creeps me out a bit.  Once I've added peeled away skin, the effect will be even worse.
  

Full frontal nastiness

This was a slow process.  It involved building up the tooth sockets in layers and then waiting for them to dry before starting the next layer.  This was because the sockets are delicate and easily damaged while they're wet, and they're superimposed on each other.  The teeth are made with roots and jammed into the sockets afterwards.  Here's what it looked like before having the teeth installed.  




You will have noticed that these teeth aren't human teeth, but don't let that fool you.  This is actually what teeth look like inside a child's skull.

Comments