Wrinkly skin

The harpy's neck and scalp are all about skin texture.  Most of this lot got done while I was on hold, trying to get through to my internet provider's tech department.  There's something very zen about moulding paper mache skin while listening to the vile tinny "music" these companies play at you in the hope that you'll give up and go away.   




Everyone has their own method for making skin, and my tools of choice are toilet paper and glue.  I use a brush to apply the glue, and I also use the brush to help me sculpt the wet paper into shape.  In a way, it's almost like painting with very thick paint.  I suspect this method would work with latex rubber too, though latex is more commonly used with moulds - see this totally awesome tsantsa made by David G. of Dark Artifacts.  

The structure underneath the skin layer is made from crushed newspaper, then covered over with "skin".  In this photo you can see one of the neck tendons before I put the skin on it.  To the right of the newspaper tendon you can see the gullet, which was made in the same way.




To make things a little more interesting,  I added bumps to the skin.  Quinoa seeds make small spotty bumps, while dried lentils produce big warty bumps. 




Comments