Zombie teeth

My zombie's upper jaw now has teeth and gums.


These teeth are so much fun to make.  They aren't painted yet, but so far they're looking okay.  I made the teeth separately, glued them into the mouth, and then built up some paper pulp around them to suggest gums.  I left gaps where some of the teeth should be, because the idea of a zombie with a full set of teeth doesn't sit right with me.  I think the teeth should look damaged and discoloured, and some of them should be missing.




I did contemplate getting some acrylic teeth, but I didn't bother in the end because they're fairly easy to make.  I make them out of paper pulp and glue, and sand them smooth once they're dry.  People sometimes want to know how to get a smooth surface on paper mache and different artists have different methods.  Some people use gesso, some people use joint compound or similar.  But for something like this I find sandpaper is the way to go.

I've made a tongue too.  I hadn't put all the teeth in the lower jaw when I took this photo, but you get an idea of how it will look.


I'm quite pleased with the tongue.

Comments